[mythtv-users] TV out picture is not rectangular

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Aug 10 20:06:08 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:05:37PM +0200, Gert van der Knokke wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >I've got an ASUS 9180 Geforce4 MX440 card which I'm using for TV out on
> >my MythTV pc. The quality is quite good however the sides of the picture
> >are not straight. The top and the left are not too bad, but the right
> >hand side is quite shocking.
> >
> I guess you are normally not seeing the problem while all broadcasts are
> overscan(d) already..

Yes, it's not noticeable with direct analog TV or DVD. However...

> My guess is your TV needs some serious re-adjustment, but to make sure:
> try displaying a test picture with a wide spaced whiteline grid,
> preferably from a TV signal/test pattern generator and see how the
> vertical lines look.
> Another simple test: try measuring the black space around a full
> teletext page. (Does it look distorted too ?)

Yes you're right. I ran the THX optimiser from a DVD (any Pixar disc has
it) and there's serious bowing in the grid lines towards the right of
the screen, just like I see in the TV out from the PC, with the right
hand border off-screen in some tests at some places.

I'm surprised because I've adjusted this thing before in the service
menu and thought I'd done a better job than this. Looks like it's time
for another go. Unfortunately it isn't possible to get in perfect.
There's even a slight rotation in the picture which can't be corrected
through the service menu.

> If it is a Sony and several years old: chances are the deflection yoke

It's a Panasonic with a hidden service menu that allows most things to
be fixed, but not all.

> You can adjust this in the settings. It will display menues and such
> with a presettable offset from left and/or right and up and/or down.

Great. Thought I saw that in there somewhere.

Thanks,

Hamish