[mythtv-users] homebrew IR receiver

Harry Orenstein holists at v92net.com
Mon Aug 9 20:20:32 EDT 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 09:19 pm, Dan Morphis wrote:
> This site has step by step distructions on how to build an ir receiver.
> http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=parts
>

> You can also buy the packard bell ir receivers at tekgems
> (http://tekgems.com/Products/winamp-remote-control.htm).  You don't need
> to use the transmitter that comes with it.  I have one, and it works
> really well.
>
> -dan

That is the site I used when I built my serial receiver.  The instructions are
very detailed and easy to follow.  I substituted a 3/32" stereo sub-mini jack
instead of the IR receiver and used my PVR-250 IR receiver.  I could not tell
the difference between the sensitivity of the receiver when connected to the
PVR-250 vs. the serial dongle, with the exception that the PVR-250 only
decodes RC-5 codes and the when connected to the dongle you can decode any IR
codes the receiver can read (36-38 MHz?).

HTH!

-- Harry O.