[mythtv-users] choosing an archive format for recordings

Leo Weppelman leo at wau.mis.ah.nl
Sat Aug 7 15:02:28 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:03:40AM -0400, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

> 	I have not looked at the scripting capabilities.  I still wonder if
> avidemux is the right direction for a fully mythtv-integrated, backend-like
> transcoding setup.  It's great for hand-cutting because it's got the GUI
> and a bunch of easily-tweakable options.  For special-purpose stuff, I
> think the command-line 'transcode' package is probably more powerful and
> robust.

The biggest 'problem' with avidemux is that it heavily relies on the gui.
Even when I use it to generate the index file, the gui and the status
windows pop-up. This makes it next to useless for making a drop-in script
for mythtranscode...
It _does_ get the job done though. I exported the nuv+sql and did the
cutting and re-created on mpeg2 file. I rebuild the recordedmarkup
table from the avidemux index file and shoved it all back into myth. The
only thing that is not correct is the total-time in the videoplayer although
I did change the endtime and the filename to reflect the shorter time. Funny
thing is that in watch-recordings the duration is correctly displayed....

I'm unsure on how to proceed though. I don't feel qualified to stuff the
mpeg2 code from avidemux in mythtranscode. I never mangled mpeg2 files
before :-/

Leo.