[mythtv-users] nvidia tv-out passthrough to pvr350 s-video-in?

Sascha Uelpenich sascha.u at gmx.net
Fri Aug 6 07:08:33 EDT 2004

Hello Everybody,

I'm a new writer to this list, but I've read it for a long time ... :-)

I'm quite happy with my myth-box (Mythtv 0.14, ivtv ck100m, ivtvdev_drv,
pvr350, nvidia GeForce2MX). I'm currently using the pvr's tv-out and the
quality is way better than it was with the nvidia's tv-out, especially when
watching live tv or recorded sports events like formula 1 or soccer.
Unfortunately divx playback now s**ks on my 900MHz PIII due to the pvr's
inherent performance problems if it does not deal with MPEG2 streams (those
problems were discussed in many previous mailings).

I'm currently trying to figure out if it is possible to combine the
advantages of both cards (good quality of pvr's tv-out w/ fast divx playback
of the nvidia card) with the following measures:

- Set up both tv-outs as xinerama screens (already did that, it works)
- Connect the nvidia's tv-out w/ the pvr's s-video-in (already did that,
too)
- Configure mplayer in mythtv for DVD, (S)VCD and DivX with option
"-xineramascreen 1" which is the nvidia's xinerama screen (did that, did not
work :-( )
- Start mplayer in mythtv with a script that configures the pvr to
passthrough the input of its s-video-in to its tv-out. I tried that with
several combinations of ivtvctl -n, -p, -P, -l, -K but ... unfortunately to
no avail.

What I'd like to know is:

- Is this a feasible way to go or are there any pitfalls that I have
overlooked?
- What combination of ivtvctl -p, -l, and -K (or other parameters?) is
necessary to passthrough the pvr's s-vidio-in to its tv-out?
- Is this the correct mailing list for my questions or should I rather send
it to ivtv-dev or ivtv-users?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ciao,
Sascha