[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Tivo Users Can, So Can MythTV users?

Brad mythtv at braddolman.com
Thu Aug 5 17:17:48 EDT 2004

Just to throw in a non-USA-centric view of this topic. I'd just like
to point out that MythTV is a world-wide endeavor and most of the
arguments against a "sharing" feature are assuming USA legal
ramifications. Not to cast judgement on the US's current path with
regard to the issue, but many parts of the world look at the US's
handling of this issue (particularly the DCMA) as purely
protectionist and driven by large corporate profits and not what is
best for the public or artists.

I live in Canada and sharing of this type has been deemed to be
completely within the bounds of our Copyright Act. My personal belief
is that this is the correct course of action with regards to file
sharing. We live in a "free market society" and, as such, we are not
obligated to ensure that traditional business models remain the same.
In fact, we are supposed to encourage change as it often leads to
other even more profitable advances. The fact that consumers now have
a cheaper, easier method of acquiring media means that the business
or businesses that take advantage of that change in the market stand
to make huge gains... those that do not, should - quite rightly -
disappear. This is at the very heart of capitalism and, as the iTunes
Music Store is proving, it will (eventually) also apply to the
current digital media delivery dilemma - not matter how much the
RIAA, the MPAA, Disney, Metallica, and their ilk fight it.

I don't really want to get involved in a fight about which path is
the correct path. I just wanted to point out that there are many
parts of the world (maybe even most of the world) that the legal
points being brought up against supporting file sharing in MythTV
have absolutely no foundation for discussion. Even in the US, it is
likely to change - eventually. If the people in the US are so nervous
about this feature, I think it would be completely acceptable to have
it as an optional install. Maybe even have a little disclaimer about
checking the legality of file sharing in your region and have the
user accept full legal responsibility for using the module before
installing it. Certainly that should provide enough safeguards for
users in the US.

At any rate, my point is that there certainly is a solution that
doesn't open MythTV to the legal boggiemen running rampant through
the US while at the same time allowing progress to forge ahead for
the rest of the world.  ;-)

Brad