[mythtv-users] OT: Tivo Users Can, So Can MythTV users?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 5 15:43:39 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:

> since the industry seems more than silling to sue the pants off of
> anyone they see who might be infringing on their copyrights.

And worse, convincing the politicians to make it illegal to
own/buy/import/sell any piece of technology that could be used to
circumvent a technological measure intended to protect a copyrighted
work (Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), Consumer Broadband and
Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA), broadcast flag, Inducing
Infringement of Copyright (INDUCE) Act, and the list goes on).

Oh, and with the Protecting Intellectual Rights Against Theft and
Expropriation (PIRATE) Act, the industry no longer has to pursue the
infringers--the Department of Justice will (at the taxpayer's expense).

And then there's the part about convincing US politicians to
force^H^H^H^H^H convince other countries to adopt similar laws
(Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement being just the latest).
And that's the worst part of it.  My last resort would be to leave the
US if things got too far out of hand.  Now, it looks like I might have
to leave Earth.  (Please don't tell me they're working on a Mars-United
States Free Trade Agreement...  ;)

> Right or wrong, I doubt any of the devs have the kind of funding to
> fight that kind of thing.

And we'd all prefer the devs spend their time dev'ing, anyway.  ;)

Mike