[mythtv-users] 2 quick Q's - best PVR-350 price and does MythGame work with TV out on PVR-350?

Dave Bush statman at twcny.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 09:50:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> IMHO, you're much better off going with a PVR-250 or PVR-250MCE ($80 -
> $125) and a GF4MX440 (or similar) video card ($20 - $40) if you want to
> do OpenGL (including MythMusic visualizations and games).  There's no
> hardware acceleration, so it's not just something missing from the
> current drivers.

Hmmm.... That would be a problem because of the system I am going to use.
It's a little Shuttle XPC system (specifically the SS40G SiS 740) that
doesn't have a spare AGP slot. I'm already using one PCI slot for a second
NIC, and the PVR-350 will go in the second PCI slot.

I have tested the S-Video out and it works fine with my TV, but when I
tried to play a DVD with MPlayer it showed on the monitor but not on the
TV. I don't think this system will do accelerated video, nor am I really
looking for that. (MAME/NES/SNES doesn't exactly need OpenGL to work
properly.)

With this in mind - what do you think? Should I back it down to a PVR-250
and spend time messing with getting DVD's, etc. to display correctly on
the TV through the S-Video port or is the TV out on the PVR-350 probably
just as good or better than what I have now?

- Dave
---
Dave Bush <mailto:statman at twcny.rr.com>

IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER IN 2004:
Not all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time.."
Many fairy tales being with "If elected I promise to..."