[mythtv-users] OT: Tivo Users Can, So Can MythTV users?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 4 23:05:37 EDT 2004

Geoff at Hundekeandroyal dot com wrote:

> I'm sure we've all seen this article over at slashdot:
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/08/04/2212251.shtml?tid=158&tid=95&tid=103

That one showed up as "FCC Rules VoIP Must Be Tappable" for me.  Here's
where I found the Hollywood/NFL stuff:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/156231&tid=129
and
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/04/196238&threshold=5&tid=129&tid=158

> Two ideas:
>
> 1)  Mirror exactly what Tivo will be doing.  You record, and send.  I
> know that this can already be done, but it's certainly not a "part" of
> MythTV.
>
> 2)  The more attractive option is where a group of friends come
> together and "share" a Program Guide.  On the community program guide,
> it only shows the channels that you ALREADY receive.  You find a
> recording you would like to make, and if for some reason your card
> can't record it (watching live TV, or doing another recording),
> another "friend" in the group "loans" his capture card and records the
> show for you.  It is then sent to you after the recording has finished.
>
> This essentially gives you multiple cards at your disposal, but keeps
> it on the up and up by not allowing you to record shows you don't pay
> for.  No reason why I should be able to get Showtime programs when I
> don't pay for Showtime.

So, here we can get the MPAA, the local broadcasters, *AND* the service
providers (cable/satellite operators) after us.  After all, if you're
paying for the $20/mo package, one of your friends has the $40/mo
package, and another has the $80/mo "complete" package, and you're
recording shows off a friend's premium channel, the cable/satellite
company could prosecute you for stealing the service (just like in the
'80's).  After all, haven't you noticed a resurgence of "cable theft is
a crime" ads?

Then there's the FCC's banning the American public from subscribing to
local stations outside their "Designated Market Area."  When someone in
CA sends a friend in New York a show from his/her local NBC station,
this could be seen as violating the FCC's market protection rules.
(That was peripherally mentioned in the article, but I'm sure the FCC
will tell TiVo who can appear on the list of 9 friends.  Since the FCC
can't exert similar control over an open source project, they probably
would prefer to shut the project down.)

Therefore, I would say it's not worth pushing too far and getting the
project shut down.  And, before you say it's impossible to shut down an
open source project, ask yourself if you'd be willing to spend your life
savings and several years of your life to prove that you're right?

Just my 2 cents.

Mike