[mythtv-users] Install problem

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 4 18:41:02 EDT 2004

I'm setting up 0.15.1, SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.7) with one of Chris
Kennedy's ivtv drivers and a PVR-250 rev1.

I've finally dug through all of my other problems, I think, and I have
only two left; one Myth's apparent fault, and one unrelated:

1) ./setup works ok through stage 4, but segfaults when I try to select
that item from the Pretty Graphical Frontend.  It doesn't seem to be
leaving a coredump behind, nor any syslog entries, so I'm not sure how
to proceed.

It *is* complaining that it "can't open /dev/video to probe it's
inputs", but I've tried running it as root (the MythTV doco is sort of
thin on which things you should run as root, and the related permission
issues), and that doesn't help.  My /dev/video is a symlink to video0,
but when I try changing the card's configured device to /dev/video0, it
doesn't change those messages.  In fact, it doesn't appear to change at
all

2) My output card is a Radeon 9200SE, and the default Xserver on SuSE91
is 4.3.99.mumble (4.4rc2).  I can't get a GATOS driver build for that
and if I downgrade the server to 4.3.0.1 (from SuSE 8.1), kdm_greet
starts dumping out on logins without any more error message than "code
125".  <sigh>

One Last Bug...

Any suggestions or pointers appreciated; my sister is starting to cross
her arms and tap her fingers.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi