[mythtv-users] maxnewest | maxepisodes | autoexpire

Wed Aug 4 14:08:06 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Chris Strom wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:15:16AM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> > > Is there a reason that autoexpire could not be overloaded to apply to
> > > both disk space needs and maxepisodes?
> >

> > For this problem, I think a "Preserve Episode" flag should be added.
> >
> > I think it would be best to leave the "autoexpire" mechanism alone.
> > Although, the "autoexpire" would probably have to be updated to look at the
> > "Preserve Episode" flag.
>
> Just to play devil's advocate, why?  Aren't both cases "auto expiring" a
> recording, but for different reasons?  Perhaps this wouldn't be
> overloading autoexpire.  Rather it would be broadening its application to
> apply to all cases of auto-expiration.  In that sense, autoexpire could
> then be thought of as the inverse of "Preserve Episode".

Keeping Autoexpire and Maxnewest/Maxepisodes separate allows for more
flexibility.

To do what you are asking, "maxepisodes" would have to pay attention to
"autoexpire".  If "autoexpire" is not set, then "maxepisodes" would be
disabled.  "maxepisodes" would only be able to do it's job when "autoexpire"
is set for a show.

If "autoexpire" is enabled for a show, it is possible that it could be deleted
even if fewer than "maxepisodes" exist.  What if that is not what I want?

By keeping them separate you can control that behavior.

John