[mythtv-users] maxnewest | maxepisodes | autoexpire

Wed Aug 4 12:15:16 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Chris Strom wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:40:06AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 August 2004 08:37, Chris Strom wrote:
> > > If I remove the autoexpire flag from a recording, shouldn't that
> > > prevent it from being expired, regardless of the expiration
> > > mechanism?  When a recording schedule has maxnewest (`Record new and
> > > expire old?' in MythWeb) set to `1' and the maxepisodes limit is
> > > reached for that schedule, myth currently expires the oldest
> > > recording, regardless of the autoexpire flag.  I expected it to
> > > expire the oldest recording *with autoexpire set*.
> >
> > Then you'd be expecting incorrectly :-)
> >
> > > Is there a reason for not honoring autoexpire in this case?
> >
> > Yes.  Autoexpire and maxnewest/maxepisodes are not related.  Autoexpire
> > is a mechanism to indicate which shows *may* be deleted if available
> > disk space falls below the threshold you set.  Maxnewest/maxepisodes is
> > a mechanism to make sure that Myth will *never* save more than N
> > episodes of a program, regardless of disk space.
>
> Is there a reason that autoexpire could not be overloaded to apply to
> both disk space needs and maxepisodes?

For this problem, I think a "Preserve Episode" flag should be added.

I think it would be best to leave the "autoexpire" mechanism alone.
Although, the "autoexpire" would probably have to be updated to look at the
"Preserve Episode" flag.

John