[mythtv-users] Help - Watch recordings not working

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Aug 4 11:20:33 EDT 2004

Hi list,

The problem I am having is I get a blank screen when I go to watch a
recording in full screen mode.  Watching live TV in full screen mode
works just fine.  When I use "watch recordings", the screen is blank and
sound is working but I noticed that I'm getting the following message in
the terminal window from which I ran mythfrontend.

    X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 11
    Major opcode: 141
    Minor opcode: 19
    Resource id: 0x2a0000

So I figure this has something to do with the problem. Since the preview
on the "watch recordings" screen was working I decided to try setting
the GUI size to something smaller than full screen. At about 300x300 GUI
size, playback started working and the error message went away. Going
back to full screen made the error return so I reset back to the working
GUI size.

Next, since recording was only taking up 40% of my processor, I
increased the capture size from 480x240 to 480x480 using the MPEG4
encoder with a bit rate of 5500. This put me at about 11% idle while
recording. Using the 300x300 GUI size, I tried to playback a recording
and once again the error message appeared. I lowered the GUI size some
more and everything started working again. It appears that there is some
sort of inverse relationship between the capture size and playback size
that determines whether or not the problem occurs.  The strange thing is
this is NOT so with "Watch Live TV".  Full screen mode works just fine
with that.  So far, the only way I've been able to get full screen
playback to work it to use an unacceptably low capture resolution.

Following a suggestion from a reply to someone else who is experiencing
a similar problem, I set the NO_XV environment variable to 1 and see
what effect that had on the frontend. Wow...playback in full screen mode
worked but pegged my processor (as the reply indicated it would do). The
reply suggested that if things worked with no xv, that the problem may
be related to the video card/driver xv support.

My system is a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF with a 733 Mhz P3 (near silent
machine), 384M, 40G, WinTV card. I'm using the onboard Intel 810 video.
The system is running Redhat Fedora Core 2 with Myth 0.15.1.

Can anyone verify that the problem is, in fact, a problem with xv
support for the Intel 810 and, if so, suggest an inexpensive replacement
to use in it's place?

Thanks in advance for any information and/or suggestions anyone may have.