[mythtv-users] About Assembling a MythTV Box

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 3 13:34:43 EDT 2004

Abhi wrote:

>    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 350 - Input Adapter
>        buy.com $166

Hmm, why a 350 ? the TV-Out of the Pundit works OK for me.

>    CPU: Intel Celeron 2.0GHz

If you plan on going to transcode get a 'real' Pentium 4 otherwise this
will do fine, I run mine with a 2.4 Celeron (Frontend only) as it was
only a few euro's more expensive than the 2.0

>    RAM: 512MB DDR-333 (PC-2700)

Fine

>    Hard Drive: 7200rpm ATA/133 200GB Maxtor

Fine, although Maxtor isn't high on my list of reliable drives, be sure
to get the one with 3 year warranty, don't know if they still have 1
year warranty drives.

>    DVD Drive:

Just take care that the faster the DVD the noisier it will be, most DVD
roms run full speed even when reading video DVD's. Some of the 16 speed
are very noisy then. Of course when you are ripping/transcoding the
DVD's the extra speed can come in handy.

>    Questions:
>    - Do I need a CPU fan for the CPU in the pundit?

My Pundit came with its own fan unit for the CPU, a standard unit won't
fit/function properly as the Pundits CPU fan is designed to
inhale/exhaust through the side panel.

>    - Are Seagates less noisy than the Maxtor above?

Samsung drives are also very very quiet, run quite cool and have 3 year
warranty too. don't know if they make anything above 160 GB though.

>    - Is Celeron 2.0GHz good enough or should I prefer Pentiums?

Transcoding dependent (see above)

>    - Any other hardware I need to get for this? I believe a simple
> remote comes with the Hauppauge.

With a simple Lirc serial receiver you can use any remote you like,
including the Hauppauge one, useful if you're going to move the 250 to a
separate backend lateron :-)

>    Thanks
>    - Abhi

Good luck.