[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 3 13:16:15 EDT 2004

>> Sorry but you're wrong.  Read the PCI-SIG specifications.
>> "It's a bus remember".  Sigh. Not all buses are alike, and not all
>> slots on a bus automatically have the same connections.

Ok, indeed not all buses are alike. ISA was 1-to-1 linked. Still there
exist sone very nifty riser cards for PCI, even passive but with an
extra set of cables for those separate lines in case you need the busreq
stuff. Look at:

http://www.mitacinds.com/ICP/products/2u_bplane.htm

And checkout for example the:  *M**MRC-PCI3 * 3-slot PCI 32bit Passive
Riser Card*RC-PCI3 * 3-slot PCI 32bit Passive Riser Card

>> The fact that there are 4 separate IRQ lines (INTA#, INTB#, INTC#,
>> INTD#) does nothing to permit more than one card per slot, as the INT
>> lines have nothing to do with the bus arbitration.

Agreed but IRQ problems are te most common with PCI.. (

>>> There are lots of proprietary motherboards around which have only one
>>> PCI slot with a riser to create 2, 3 or 4 horizontal PCI slots. (Low
>>> profile Compaqs, HPs etc.)

Hmm, on older machines (probably without the BUS mastering stuff) I have
found some passive 2 port extenders. The newer ones (with more slots)
all have special connectors indeed.

> It is true that Request/Grant is unique per device. Though not all
> devices need Request/Grant, it is only needed for "Bus Mastering"
> peripherals. Of course, most high performance devices  (ethernet, IDE,
> VGA, and I am going to assume Video capture cards) do need it to
> achieve decent performance. The 2nd slot should be perfectly useable
> for a UART or Parallel port card:)

Gert