[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue Aug 3 05:05:43 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 09:29, Adam Wood wrote:
> > Maarten wrote:

> > It is true that Request/Grant is unique per device. Though not all
> > devices need Request/Grant, it is only needed for "Bus Mastering"
> > peripherals. Of course, most high performance devices  (ethernet, IDE,
> > VGA, and I am going to assume Video capture cards) do need it to achieve
> > decent performance. The 2nd slot should be perfectly useable for a UART
> > or Parallel port card:)

Agreed on all parts.

To clarify, I shouldn't have said a two slot PCI riser card doesn't exist.
One has to differentiate between a passive risercard and an active one.  An
active one incorporates a true PCI-PCI bridge and thus can accomodate a full
PCI bus, i.e. four slots or even more on a single risercard.  I did not know
before the research I did yesterday that this actually existed (outside of
motherboards of course).

> > Tim
>
> I'm certainly no PCI expert but I have a generic 2 slot PCI riser, at least
> that's how it was sold to me, and it runs my PVR-250 and Nova-t cards fine
> on an EPIA-M 10000. I'm just wondering if anyone who thinks it doesn't work
> has tried it. It sounds like I'm not the only one with success.

Hm.  Strange indeed,  Does it have any visible chips on it ?  If so, it is
very likely an active card (see above).

Maarten