[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Mon Aug 2 17:21:41 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:

> There's a quite a few fans that have thermal control diodes built in; if
> you can find a case that's sympathetic to it, it's relatively simple to
> chuck and 80mm fan into a case and run it at a permanently low voltage.
> Zalman make a "fan mate" which is a variable resistor type thing, you can
> buy "stealth fans" that run at low rpm, or you can rewire one of your molex
> connectors to run the fan at 7V instead of 12.

     I've never liked the thermal control fans.  If you put the sensors
in a nice warm area, the fan always runs at full speed.  ;-) ;-) ;-)
Good for cooling, but not good for noise.  I like more control.

     Your Zalman and voltage regulator solutions are much better.

     After using an M10000 as a mythtv box (it's still my master
backend), I've come to the conclusion that it was a mistake.

     For me, low power was the biggest consideration, with noise a close
second.  I've since built another box using a 2200+ Athlon XP-M (mobile)
processor, and I think that approach gives a much better trade-off
(assuming that you use a motherboard that'll "happen to work" with an
XP-M, as the XP-M isn't supposed to work with desktop motherboards).
All of these systems are similarly configured (*without* monitor,
measured using a wattmeter and not an ammeter):

        M10000:                                         60-70W
        XP-M:                                           70-90W
        Power-sucking plain old 1.3 GHz Athlon:         ~130W

For only an extra 10-20W, I get a *lot* more CPU power, more PCI slots,
and none of the issues surrounding the M10000.  Also, I can probably
underclock the XP-M and save even more power.

--
        Darryl Okahata
        darrylo at soco.agilent.com