[mythtv-users] interlaced vs not?

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Fri Apr 30 19:07:22 EDT 2004

At 02:43 PM 4/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm slightly confused about the definition of this word in relation to
>the encoding settings....    I understand interlacing's two meanings..
>one, as in those old interlaced monitors, which also applies to tv sets:
>
>- - - -     where - is a pixel.
> - - -
>- - - -

Where did you hear of this definition?   I've never heard of that before.

>And I also understand frame-interlacing as in a DVD (too hard to draw in
>ascii).

When talking about video, that's what interlacing means.   Two fields per
frame, drawn sequentially to appear as if the frame is a single entity.
In the early days of television, that's how the engineers were able to cut
down the bandwidth required to draw the picture on the screen.
http://www.100fps.com/

-WD