[mythtv-users] Commercial Blocker?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Fri Apr 30 07:21:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:55:14 +0100, David <myth at dgreaves.com> wrote:

> Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> doesn't work too well in the UK (OK - it's useless!)
>>>

>> Why doesn't it work?
>>

> I suspect it's technical/broadcast differences - I don't think we have
> the black frames around adverts - we (usually) have the channel banners
> instead.

Very true. In Sweden (and, I suspect, many countries/channels) we get
plenty of US shows where the original US commercial break is removed.
Instead we have one 5min break in the middle of a 22min show (like
Simpsons) to make it fit in a 30min timeslot. But since the original US
fadeouts/fadeins are still there, the commercial detection kicks in and
you "miss" everything until the next US break. :)

One method that I guess has been tried is to look for the channel logo in
the corner, but that's hardly fail-proof - many channels "forget" to
remove it during commercials, or to bring it back exactly when the show
resumes... =(

--
Niklas Brunlid