[mythtv-users] Of motherboards and lesser devices

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Apr 29 17:01:47 EDT 2004

Do people generally build their own myth boxes from the
ground up or purchase a preconfigured hardware set
and add the special stuff needed?

I'm looking at a bunch of motherboards, many with onboard
video, sound (sometimes even 5.1 or 6.1), ethernet, and
usb.  I know I'll need something like a PVR-[23]50, but do I need
a sound card (for compatibility) as well?  I'm thinking that in
most cases I have nothing but trouble with the onboard
sound, so I usually end up adding a decent sound card and
bypass the onboard stuff.  If I can find a board without sound,
I figure I may be a little better off depending on the responses
seen.

I have successfully built myth on an IBM PC with a soundblaster
audigy and a leadtek card, but I want to keep this system
intact and build one from the ground up in a custom card (as I posted
earlier in the week).  I've looked at all the sites I can find about
the hardware requirements, but nobody is very specific about
if they use the onboard sound or not.

In looking at motherboards.com, the choices are endless, and
I just need a place to start.  I figure a pvr-350 is a good start,
but I don't know if I should look for a sound card or focus next
on the mobo (with or without sound).

Thanks for letting me bug you all so much!  Myth rocks.

Paul