[mythtv-users] Mouseless / Keyboardless Frontend

Poobah poobah at techsquadron.com
Thu Apr 29 01:37:40 EDT 2004

I've got Myth running on a diskless Shuttle XPC frontend, and want to
make it as much of an "appliance" as possible without looking like a
computer.  The keyboard and mouse sticking out will lower the WAF in
that area.  The front end boots, logs itself in, runs X, and fires up
mythfrontend without any intervention, and doesn't need the keyboard or
mouse.

I've got LIRC running, but if I unplug my mouse I loose keyboard and
remote control (???)  If I unplug the keyboard, I don't get remote
contol.

Is it possible to get X to start without a mouse and keyboard defined (X
drops out complaining of no core pointer / keyboard defined if I comment
them out)?  Or, is there a "dummy" driver that LIRC can still feed key
presses to with no keyboard present?

I want to get it running under direct FB, but haven't made it that far
yet.  Will that simplify my problem?  I've got LIRC compiled in myth, so
I don't need irxevent.  I haven't seen much good/bad/ugly about direct
FB, but I haven't looked much...

Thanx!

Mark Hanson