[mythtv-users] How do you downsample 5.1 audio to two channel

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 18:26:06 EDT 2004

> I am wondering if there is an easy way to downsample the 5.1
> audio out on my DVD player to the 2 channel speaker setup I
> have?  I use the default mplayer install on Myth .14.  The
> card is an SBLive! 5.1.

It's in the mplayer docs (the man page, I think).  It's
supposed to happen automatically for two-channel sound cards,
though I'm not confident that it does; my wife was watching
a DVD a while back in which dialog was barely audible and
I suspect it was channel downmixing not working.  For your
5.1 output with only two speakers connected, you certainly
would have to tell it to mix.  I think that (if it works)
it's as easy as a -chan 2 or some such thing.