[mythtv-users] 2.6.5 + bttv 0.9.15 odd behavior, not bad, just different (on MDK10-Official)

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Wed Apr 28 03:59:27 EDT 2004

Just tried (successful) upgrade to 2.6.5 (Linus) and patched ONLY with
bttv 0.9.15.(playing with MDK10-Official, seems fine so far under Myth)

I have been running Cooker for a long time, just trying something
different...2100+, NF2(FIC AU11), i810_audio, BT878.

Compiled it for K7 and selected preemptive, actually feels much faster
than factory kernel (2.6.3-7mdk) all else is from mdk .config (make
oldconfig) The difference is usually not noticeable, perhaps I turned
off all the Kernel debugging as well... Yes I did, probably a good idea.

Found that while my new MDK10-Official//mythtv would work out of the box
without bttv being preloaded in modprobe.preload, I had to add it as
mythtv could not change channels. At all. xawtv could...

...and unloading/reloading bttv manually gave me PAL. Hmph.

I just added bttv to modprobe.preload, and rebooted, all is well.
(should have had this anyway, but it's not automatically created, and
the tvcard setup bombs for some reason for me, works fine under Cooker)

One other weird (cool) thing:
I have the Nvidia 5336 driver loaded on the "stock" kernel, and
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 says "nvidia", but loading 265 appears to
automagically load "nv" and X actually starts!
(This is a feature, but initially caused some head scratching, as it's
not "normal"---Must be something new in the distro)

I'll have to have a lookeesee and find out how they do that.