[mythtv-users] mysql_connect(): Too many connections

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Tue Apr 27 21:21:15 EDT 2004

I just went to pull up mythweb and got:

Warning at /var/www/html/includes/init.php, line 62:
mysql_connect(): Too many connections
Fatal Error at /var/www/html/includes/init.php, line 63:
Can't connect to the database server. Did you use the correct settings
in config/conf.php?

The system administrator has been notified and the problem will be
remedied shortly.

The backend status report on port 6544 pulls just fine.

So, I SSH'd in to the system and did a ps -A and found some 50 or so
mysqld running.

I restarted Apache and it didn't change.

I did a netstat -a and found tons of streams open to mysqld, and NO
tcp/ip sockets open to it.

This tells me it's the frontend / backend that did it.  The only thing
on this box is Myth.

Any ideas of what else to look for?  I've never seen this happen before,
but I do occasionally have freezes to the frontend where the backend
continues to record just fine but the screen is solid black.  When that
happens, if I kill the frontend using SSH, the machine freezes and
requires a hard reboot.

-Tony