[mythtv-users] Lost SPDIF output after apt-get dist-upgrade

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Tue Apr 27 21:57:38 EDT 2004

John Sturgeon wrote:

> Julian Edwards wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:02, John Sturgeon wrote:
>>

>>> Glad I could finally help somebody else!
>>>

>> Don't you just love that warm fuzzy feeling? :)
>>

>>> I use alsa, but through oss emulation.  Whenever I've tried to use
>>> alsa natively, I get a floating point exception.
>>>

>> Me too.  So, presumably, you just use /dev/dsp as the output device?
>> Have you done anything special to map the sound through to the spdif
>> out?  I just get silence :(
>>
>> I know Jarod has a similar setup to me (with an Audigy) - did you get
>> any of these problems?  You might also want to update your guide for the
>> new mplayer command line.
>>

> OK.
> I'm going from memory here, but I believe I use /dev/adsp0 my mapping
> is done by setting up the oss modules.  here is my modules.conf:
>
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
> # default path
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
>
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.3 ---
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2
> options snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

I was hoping this would fix me. I have the intel8x0 and can get spdif
with mplayer but not with myth. My modules.conf looks just like yours
but when I changed myth to use /dev/adsp0 it comes back with 'No such
Device' when playing shows. I checked /dev/adsp* and have adsp0 - 3. Any
thoughts?

- James