[mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Tue Apr 27 13:32:03 EDT 2004

And, there are those of us who are lucky enough to have _very_
intelligent wives that can field-strip a PC in under 2 minutes,
rebuild it, install any OS she darn well feels like, configure it, and
have it begging for mercy inside of an afternoon.  My wife is one of
those people.  When I pointed out what WAF meant, after she had stared
reading some of the mythtv-users mail, she thought the term was very
appropriate.  She likes technology and can figure out/use any and all
of it, but to be honest, she didn't give a flying chocobo whether we
had a PVR or not.

That's where the WAF kicks in for me.  Since the idea of a PVR (to
her, at least) is little more than a VCR without tapes, she doesn't
bother looking into configuration files and trying to hammer out
problems.  If something breaks, it's my responsibility to fix it
(since I _do_ use it as more than a tapeless VCR).

WAF = ease_of_use * hrs_of_uptime + bells_and_whistles -
times_the_darn_thing_goes_down * 1000/times_I_do_dishes_per_week

Please note: the above formula has been Wife Approved (TM). Without
Wife Approval, all such equations are meaningless :)

Anyway, the gist is: My wife is a
geek/tech-head/computer-junkie/DiabloII-Matriarch/Halo-Will-0wn-Ur-4$$,
but doesn't _care_ to learn the inner workings of MythTV any more than
she wants to tear apart the cable box and debug its firmware.

Most of these rants are getting a little bit away from the OP....

<quote>

i would respectfully request that people on this list stop referrring
to "the
wife" as though they were a completely different (and inferior) species.

if myth has some feature or does something which is not user friendly
then say
so. don't blame it somebody else who you have to please. it is pretty
insulting and sexist.

i'm not being politically correct. nobody could accuse me of being pc.
just
asking for a little respect for the majority of the human race.

</end quote>

~From my above statement, I submit that although I refer to my wife as
"the wife" on occasion, I readily accept, admit, and proclaim her to
be a member of an _at least_ on-par species, if not a superior one.
Besides, how is "the wife" sexist?  You'd say "the boss", or "the
landlord"... both of whom  you have a contract with ... "The wife" is
a title bestowed upon signing that life-altering document called a
Marriage License.  I am "the husband", she is "the wife".  That's just
the way it is.  If I want to remodel my bathroom, I call and make sure
it's okay with "the landlord".  You wouldn't say I was being sexist
then, would you?  I wouldn't be being racist, satanist, or any other
"ist".  Just as when I want to modify the TV viewing arrangement, I
check with (and get approval from) "the wife".  It's not sexist.  It's
what she is.  When it comes to my asking permission to fix/break
something, she's "the wife" because she's "the boss" (or at least,
"the supervisor"). =)

If the OP was voicing an honest opinion, he's -1 Flaimbait.
If the OP was picking nits, he's -1 Troll.

Either way, he's -5 wasting our time.

Phill W.   < -- reads /. _way_ too much

P.S. Yes, I'm adding to "the fire" by responding to "the troll", but
"the fact" is I'm just stupified that anyone can take offense at
something as innocuous as "the wife" or WAF (I realize he didn't
mention WAF, but it seems to be prevailant in the responses to him).

P.P.S. Grant, I personally like "She who must be obeyed"... it takes
the sting out of actually doing what you're told. ;)