[mythtv-users] Free USB RF remote (just $5.90 for shipping)

gabe at mustbethemoney.com gabe at mustbethemoney.com
Mon Apr 26 17:28:57 EDT 2004

OK, I had a devil of a time getting the remote to work, but i finally did,
and it is not trivial.  This is what I did, read it all first, because
some steps are uneccesary as you will see.

1)Commented out out all the lirc references to the pvr-350 receiver from
modules.conf
2)apt-get remove lirc, this was a huge issue as I think axel's package is
configured for those pvr-350 or serial lirc.  Not sure, but I could not
use his package
3)compile pre4 from source, sigh it does not work
4)kill all the lirc drivers from the kernel folder
5)compile again and setup the config script for the atiusb
6)wow, complies, and I have everything
7)/sbin/service lircd start, sigh, no such service
8)turns out it was in /usr/local/sbin, mv over to /usr/sbin, still does
not work
9)put back in /usr/local/sbin and apt-get install lirc
10)copied my compiled version over to /usr/sbin to replace apt-get version
11)WOW, success, can start licrd via /sbin/service lircd start
irrecord -d /dev/lirc x10.conf and I am able to start making a
lircd.conf file (note it is /dev/lirc and nothing further)
create the config file, and mv that over to /etc/lircd.conf.  This
config file is like nothing else i have seen on the mythlists in terms
of codes it sends
irw works now!

Also, I needed to add these lines to modules.conf:

alias char-major-61 lirc_atiusb
alias lirc_dev lirc_atiusb

which go after these lines:
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`

you may need to reboot to make sure everything is kosher.

If there is demand, i can make available my lircrc and lircd.conf file,
but my lircrc is a work in progress at this point