[mythtv-users] Viewing files recorded externally on MythTV

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 13:05:07 EDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 18:44, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 14:06, John Sturgeon wrote:
> > This isn't a complete answer, but you can, of course, use MythVideo
> > to play an regular video file (mpg, divx, xvid, etc...).  It uses
> > by default mplayer, but you can configure it to use xine, or any
> > other player you prefer.
>
> I'll try to expand on that one a little bit... For something to be
> integrated into the TV part, there are quite a few database entries
> that are required. Otherwise, you end up having to use MythVideo like
> John suggests. It is possible to move recordings from one Myth box to
> another, if you export and import the database info. You *might* be
> able to manually put in enough info to get a recording from elsewhere
> to do something productive, but good luck...
>
> As for auto-flagging commercials, I think you're SOL unless you can
> get the show into the DB, since that's where all the cut points get
> stored as well. You'd probably have to use something along the lines
> of avidemux2 to rip out the commercials. (I've done this quite a bit
> for movies I've recorded -- I edit out the commercials then transcode
> from mpeg2 to mpeg4, all w/avidemux2).

You *should* be able to to import MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files by simply
giving them a name that follows the MythTV naming scheme
(chanid-starttime-endtime.nuv) and importing the file into the database
(see the myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script in the 'contrib' directory of
the Myth source distribution).

Once the file is imported into Myth, you should be able to run
mythcommflag on it to flag the commercials & create a seektable.  You
should also be able to use Myth's internal editor, and also transcode
it to any other Myth format (MPEG-2, RTjpeg or MPEG-4).  Note that if
you transcode it to Myth's MPEG-4 or RTjpeg formats, the file will be
mosly unplayable outside of Myth.

It *might* even be possible to import other files into Myth this way.
Myth should be able to play any format supported by ffmpeg.  It's
possible that this support extends to transcoding also.  That is, you
might be able to transcode *any* ffmpeg-supported format/codec into a
native Myth format, after which you can flag & cut out commercials.

NOTE: I've never actually tried any of this.  I'd be interested to hear
if it would actually work...

-JAC