[mythtv-users] Voodoo3 3500 capture, anyone?

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sun Apr 25 14:08:32 EDT 2004

> Message: 26
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:22:18 -0700
> From: Jayson Garrell <kyi at kyi.sytes.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Voodoo3 3500 capture, anyone?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 13:51, Brennan Hildebrand wrote:
> > I've found a few postings on using the Voodoo3 3500 for tv out, but
> has
> > anyone used it for capture on the backend.  I believe it will do
> mpeg1
> > encoding, but not mpeg2, although I'm not certain.  I happen to have
> one
> > lying around so I thought I might give it a try.  Any experiences
> would
> > help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brennan
> Since I have one also and fought with it a while back... Once you get
> it
> to work at all I'm sure it would work in a mythbackend. The problem is
> finding all of the kernel patchs for it, also with xfree 4.+ it seems
> have a weird overlay problem where the video turns pink when the mouse
> is moved. I didn't really need to use it that bad since I have  2
> 250's,
> so I gave up on getting it to work. When I get home I will pull up my
> book marks for the patchs and post the links to the list.
>
> Jayson G

My V3500TV had a GREAT tuner, excellent picture---And never supported
enough of the V4L API to ever record anything. It had NO hardware
compression capability, has a bt869 IIRC, and uses the bttv driver.

The original drivers author/one and only real coder abandoned it over
year ago. (Shame, too)

IOW, not usable for mythtv, AFAIK.

You can get a far better card that will work with modern motherboards
for <$40, and have good>great TV out, and OpenGL in 24/32 bit.

A cheap BT878 card is ~$25, depending on shopping skillz.

The 3500TV also had _TERRIBLE_ TV out quality.

The "pink screen" bug was fixed at some point, I remember that.

Hit sourceforge, I posted an example XF86Config, and other stuff, in the
V3500TV user forums.

I highly recommend you fight another battle.

It IS possible that V4L/bttv/i2c/lm_sensors have adopted/written enough
stuff to make it useful since, but as it is a 3.3V AGP card, using a
current MB is not likely to happen, you can do better.

(you would need bttv, msp3400, and a few other modules)

I was trying to stick mine on a Soyo Dragon Lite I picked up, but it's
such a POS it's not worth the effort. (The MB that is, the 3500 is still
useful as a video card in a system for the kids or such)

Good luck!
--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>