[mythtv-users] Transcoding woes.

Stephen Atkins atkinss at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 25 10:35:20 EDT 2004

Hello all.  I've searched thought the Gossamer Threads site but can't
seem to find an answer.  I've recorded a number of shows into rtjpeg/mp3
format.  Currently for an hours worth of video its around 3 gigs.  I've
gone through and edited the commercials out manually.  I then exit edit
mode and hit X.  It tells me its going to transcode the file.  In the
table transcode it shows the program with a status of 20 (not sure what
this means).  So two questions.  Where is it set to tell the transcoder
what to transcode it into ie mpg4 format from rtjpeg and when does it
start transcoding the file.  I thought it would start almost immediately.

While I'm not new to MythTV (been playing around for a month or so now)
I find the documentation on some of the features a bit behind the code.
Not saying I'm much better.  I have yet to write the manual for the POS
program I wrote for my company!  Is there a cvs of the docs that gets
updated quicker than the web site or is there another source for some of
this.  I think we/I should work on some docs explaining how the
transcoder works a bit more.  For both the mpeg2 cards and the
non-encoder cards.

Thanks
Stephen