[mythtv-users] dark or red screen on channel change: NOT due to bttv driver

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Apr 24 02:38:02 EDT 2004

The following is a report I sent to another lister who may have given up
due to the "dark or red screen on channel change" bt878 issue, amongst
others. I haven't gotten a report back from him to confirm.

This is with bttv-0.9.13 installed. It's up to 9.15 now BTW.

I felt it might be generally useful to anyone with a bt878 based card..

*****

It's been awhile, just got my xbox frontend working, but to make a long
story short, hosed by backend install and dumped a "known working" image
back on.(edit--It was faster than trying to fix the broken deps--- had a
show to record in 20 min)

I had 2.6.3-7mdk.
I had bttv-0.13 (or whatever0
I had the dark screen again. Sometimes.

Hint--It ain't bttv. Possibly never was.

Looked in mythweb, I had been using better contrast/brightness settings
lately adapted from xawtv...(corrected at ~same time as bttv upgrade...)

Set as follows, see what happens.

Contrast 16384
brightness 48000
color 16384 (default IIRC)
hue 32768

Problem gone, absolutely. Changed back settings, came back.

--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>