[mythtv-users] RE: Why does it take 20% cpu power to run mythfrontend when it used to take 4%?

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Fri Apr 23 21:18:17 EDT 2004

> Recording in MPEG4 is my guess. _HUGE_ CPU sucking going on there, esp
> with HQ/4mv set---remember, recording is real time, and NOT niced in any
> way. It will suck all the CPU power it needs to keep up.

But see the wierd thing is, it's ALWAYS been MPEG4/4000 bitrate/544 x 480,
since the beginning, and the thing has gradually slowed down to the point
it'll barely run.  0.10 was perfect.  You couldn't make it skip if you tried.
0.11 was glitchy, 0.12 was alright but skipped occasionally, and it's gotten
really bad on 0.14.  The options I've used, and the settings for compression
have never changed.  That's the wierd part.

> My frontend now is an xbox, works great, and using mythtransode as
> intended works so much better. The backend runs almost unnoticed now.

A separate frontend is not really an option at this point.  Maybe someday.

> Record rtjpeg, auto transcode, and in your transcoding profile, use
> mpeg4, hq/4mv, same resolution.

I don't really have the disk space to record in RTJPEG.