[mythtv-users] disk usage weirdness

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 23 18:53:02 EDT 2004

Debabrata Banerjee wrote:
> fsck the partition, and
> tune2fs -r 0 /dev/hda2, unless of course this is your root partition, in
> which case 0 reserved blocks can be very bad.

That's correct, it can be very bad. 95% full doesn't mean
there is one big block of 5% of the disk open at the end. It
means there are little pockets of remaining space scattered
across the disk. You do not want to record large video files
into little block clusters scattered across all the cylinders
of the disk.

Here's a rule of thumb that's served me well. If you have a disk
where you clear out the clutter and it is still 90% full, you
don't need 3% more space, you need twice as much space.

--  bjm