[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Jim Coates jcoates at jimcoates.com
Fri Apr 23 16:51:12 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin D. Snodgrass" <kds.mythtv at cox.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >>Backups are definately your friend :)
> >

> > Another very cool program to check out is mondorescue. You can create a
full
> > bare-metal recovery disc set, backup to CD/DVD, ISO image file, NFS,
local
> > HD, etc., incrementals, differentials, fulls, etc...
> >
> > http://www.mondorescue.org/
> >
> > I've contemplated installing a box, creating a mondo restore image of
it, then
> > making that image available...
> >

> I've always used:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdx|gzip -best > somefile.gz
>
> Just make sure somefile.gz is on a different partition. :-)
>   Actually, it's best if /dev/hdx isn't mounted.

That works if you a) care to back up your shows and have a nice huge disk to
put the file on or b) have your shows on a different disk than your
system....  There is a tradeoff in a frontent/backend MythTV system between
heat/noise and performance/storage.  People in this config stick with a
single drive (if possible) to keep the heat and noise down.