[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Debabrata Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 16:24:19 EDT 2004

#1 The sx4000 linux driver blows, and yes - it comes with binary only
drivers for a stock kernel in redhat 7.3 out of the box. Good luck.... I
sold mine.
#2 So do most proprietary hardware raid5 solution's drivers.

Software raid 5 is often faster than hardware raid 5, except it has higher
cpu usage. WinXP != linux

Check your kernel output when loading the raid5 driver, here's mine:

raid5: measuring checksumming speed
   8regs     :  3262.800 MB/sec
   32regs    :  2404.800 MB/sec
   pIII_sse  :  3499.200 MB/sec
   pII_mmx   :  5003.200 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  6418.000 MB/sec

Yeah, that's 6.4GB/sec at 100% cpu usage. Since my disks will never approach
that the maximum cpu usage will be much less. I'd estimate I'm getting about
5-10% with full-on (90-130MB/s) reads with 6 disks with shared channels,
about 150 MB/s on one drive per channel and just barely more cpu usage. 2
Drives per channel really cleans up the cable mess which the hardware cards
don't let you do.

So what exactly is the "demand of streaming continious MPG" that everyone
keeps overestimating by a light year?, I have yet to figure out why. The
maximum pvr250 bitrate is only 2MB per second. Any drive from 1997 can do
that. I have a single drive doing 3 record streams and one playback just
fine, two cards and one frontend being remote, total network bandwidth is
less than 1MB per second.

-Debabrata