[mythtv-users] "Videos" Play too fast and choppy

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Fri Apr 23 12:25:51 EDT 2004

> OK I installed and tried Xine as the video player in
> Setup/Videos/Player
> Settings and it plays at the correct speed. So it is a problem with
> mplayer.  Here is my commandline for mplayer...
>
> mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv -ao alsa9 %s
>
> Anyone have any ideas why mplayer is playing video and audio too
> fast?
>
> If I can't fix the mplayer then I need to figure out how to get xine
> launch directly to fullscreen and not in a window first then switch to
> fullscreen. My commandline for xine is:
>
> xine --f -g -D -A alsa --no-logo --no-splash %s  (do I need alsa9?)
>
> but this pops xine up in a window and then switches to fullscreen
> leaving the mouse cursor in the center of the video, which does fade
> after a minute but annoys my perfectionist side. The flash of the KDE
> desktop just isn't polished enough for me ;) Any fix for this? I know
> there are a buncha xine users out there.
>
> Any comments/help would be appreciated!
> Thanks again!
> Eric

You have an NF2 board, right? Don't use ALSA if you are running mythtv.
Not worth the hassle, and it may never work right.

Things to check first, as you actually have it capturing:
Check your sample rate in myth. must be 48000.

If you have to convert//force sample rate (using btaudio input) there
is a way to force it in the module, IIRC the how-tos cover it.

Comment out anything alsa related in modprobe.conf or modules.conf
depending on kernel, or do whatever you do in Debian.

modprobe "i810_audio". add it to your /etc.modules or however you prefer
to load it. If you run KDE, set the audio system to "Threaded OSS"

Install aumix, run it as root, mute your input, and set your volumes.
Quit. Every time you boot, it will actually correctly set the card up,
unlike ALSA, regardless of alsacntl voodoo incantations.

If you are using the PCI output, use the appropriate OSS module.

And use mplayer, usually works better, but no dvd menus.

I fought this for weeks: just use OSS if you are capturing using the MB
audio. OSS does not require heavy voodoo to work, and works great on the
NF2.

--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>