[mythtv-users] disk usage weirdness

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri Apr 23 03:31:14 EDT 2004

Op vrijdag 23 april 2004 05:37, schreef Dennis Lou:
> I noticed that the backend status reports disk
> usage differently than df.
>
> This is what mythbackend reports:
>  Disk Usage:
>     * Total Space: 54,218 MB
>     * Space Used: 49,745 MB
>     * Space Free: 4,473 MB
>
> and this is what df -h reports:
> [root at localhost /]# df -h
> /dev/hda2              56G   46G  7.3G  87% /
> /dev/hda1              99M   14M   80M  15% /boot
> none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm

Linux automagicaly reserves some space to keep fragmentation low. Only root
can use that (that's why df as root reports the full free space). It has been
on the list before. There's also some command to disable this barrier for
normal users also (don't know if that's smart though).

> To compound the confusion, du -sh / reports this:
> [root at localhost /]# du -sh /
> 29G     /

I've got no idea about that.

	Henk Poley <><