[mythtv-users] recommendations for a media box

KMF katoom at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 22 16:36:34 EDT 2004

On 2004.04.22 10:37, Dr NoName wrote:

> I am trying to spec out a pvr system. I want to be
> able to record tv, play back, do live pause, watch
> dvds, etc. and use the remote to  operate  it. The box

> 4. There are two options for tv-out:
>
>   - TV capture card with TV out (such as Hauppauge
> PVR-350) with no video card (I'm assuming I don't need
> a video card then)

   Debugging, changing bios settings, etc.. (not to mention
 installation) will be a real pain without a video card if
 you use the PVR-350 TVout.

  Some people on the list are successfully using the VIA
 EPIA M-series which has a bios which supports the onboard
 TVout. Perhaps they will chime in.

> OR
>   - plain TV capture card + video card with TV out
> (Nvidia GeForce MX  or  an old ATI Rage II).
>
> I am leaning towards the second option since this
> would allow me to  connect a monitor for debugging and
> what not. Which one would you recommend?

  Any old video card will do the trick if video is not
 built in to your mobo. Look in the bottom of your
 junk box and you'll probably find a suitable card to
 use.

> 5. Where does the sound go? The TV out outputs only
> video, so I'm  assuming I still need speakers when
> playing back a recording. But what about live tv? My
> tv has only RCA inputs and no outputs.

   TVout carries audio, too, but only the audio associated
 with the video. I.e. you'll need an audio card for playing
 MP3 etc...

> 6. How well does the remote work? It's quite important
> for a dedicated  media box.

   I'm using the remote receiver from a PVR-350 and it
 works perfectly. No muss, no fuss. Of course, I'm also
 using a Harmony universal remote control and it is
 a *very* sweet setup.

   You haven't mentioned issues of noise, power, frontend/backend
 setup so you might want to investigate further.

     Later!
--

    Kevin Flaherty
    katoom at pacbell.net