[mythtv-users] Free USB RF remote (just $5.90 for shipping) -Getting it to work

Clint Gilders techservices at onlinehobbyist.com
Wed Apr 21 14:30:04 EDT 2004

Brian Rumple wrote:
> Yes, xte sends X keypresses to the window with focus.  You can find it
> at: http://hoopajoo.net/projects/xautomation.html
>
> I think your problem is the default PC device of the remote.  The
> default is something other than 0, which is what my config file is set
> up for.  I think the valid values are 1-16.  I guess you need to
> subtract one in the conf file.
>
> 1. Press and release the PC button.
> 2. Press and hold Setup until the indicator starts to blink. Release
> Setup (the indicator blinks a number corresponding to its Master Code
> 1-16) and then stays on).
> 3. While the indicator is on, enter a new number for this remote (1-16)
> and then press Setup. The indicator blinks back the new setting and then
> stays off.

Thanks.   I set it to 1 (PC-0 in the conf file) and it worked fine.

For others who might be interested:

For xte, I just did a `configure && make` in the xautomation-0.94 source
directory and copied the xte executable to somewhere handy.   To get it
to run properly in my KnoppMyth system I had to comment out line 65 in
the Makefile:

#LIBS = -lpng

I don't need graphics support for the use I'm putting `xte` to.

Thanks again for sharing this info with us.
--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>
Director of Technology Services