[mythtv-users] Ahanix D.Vine cases

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Apr 21 13:04:09 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 00:17, Maarten wrote:
> On Monday 19 April 2004 14:09, blacklion at blacklion.org wrote:
> > 1. Are there any problems with cooling?  I have a Chaintech 7NIF2 board
> > with an AMD 2500+ Barton.  I noticed that the D.Vine cases have openings
> > for 60mm case fans.  That's what I have in my current case and I don't
> > like them.  Either you get a fan that moves a decent amount of air and
> > you get a lot of noise, or you get a silent fan that hardly makes a
> > difference.  Will I need to add fans to these cases?
>
> Don't know about those cases but in general, the bigger the fan is, the
> quieter.  I am currently at the point that, whatever the case, I make an

Well, I DO know about those cases NOW; and I would strongly suggest that
nobody believe the dB sound values this company quotes for its fans and PSUs!
They quote 14 dBA on their website. This is -and anyone knowing how the dB
range works will attest this- an utterly impossible value. No PSU can ever
have a noise level 14 dBA unless they have no fan at all (passive cooling)
but even then, no-one will be able to measure said 14 dBA soundlevel.

Ask any expert about dBA, and he will tell you that the residual noise in a
completely quiet city-bedroom in the middle of the night will probably lie
around 25-35 dBA(!).  To go lower than that, you would need to be in a really
quiet environment, like in the desert when there is absolutely no wind. BUT
even then, the sound of the blood pumping through your veins and your heart
beating will amount to something in the range 10-15 dBA !
Thus, quoting a 14 dBA figure for a PSU is litterally akin to fraud. It is
unattainable, impossible, unmeasureable.  You don't have to take my word for
it though; a bit of googling will give you lots of test-pages with real dBA
figures... and even the very very quietest PSUs are above that 14dBA.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand this misinformation.

Maarten