[mythtv-users] Re: Bleb.org down??

Rob Willett rob.mythtv at robertwillett.com
Tue Apr 20 14:51:26 EDT 2004

David,

I have looked at the Showshifter site and they have said that Digiguide won't
play ball with them at all. They and PureTelly are the only people I know doing
decent listings that are free(ish). I did look at trying to scrape PureTelly and
then gave up.

In light of this I have now written most of a very simple distribution service.
I offer this up as a sacrifical lamb...

It works on a three tier approach.

Somebody, somewhere must create the master XML data files. This is the bit to
do... <cough>. I've written software to handle the distribution only. It will
work with a single server but clearly the more servers we have the wider the
distribution and the less load we each have to bear. It will also work around
the world by the user simply choosing a different Tier-2 server list when they
start.

The software works as follows. A master server (bleb.org?) is used to seed a set
of Tier 2 servers. Seeding is simply copying the XML files off the master server
to the Tier 2 servers. I have assumed the XML files are appropriate for mythtv.
All the software does at the moment is distribute. The Tier 2 servers then make
all the XML files and the list of Tier 2 servers available to all and sundry.
Simple and easy, no databases, no hard work. All a tier-2 provider need do is
daily update their own files from either the master server or from another Tier
2 provider. They will need a web server and preferably a dedicated directory.
They will not need mySQL, PHP though they will need Perl, ping and wget (so far).

All the software is written in Perl. It consists of a perl script and a file
containing the list of Tier-2 servers and which directory the xml files are in.
This software will randomly choose one of the Tier 2 servers (never the master)
and try and download the XML software and the server list. If a server is down
it will choose another server until it either succeeds or runds out of servers.

At the moment I have the core software written but am struggling a little with
wget when it isn't pulling back web pages, just files. I want the power of rsync
but on port 80. I'll crack that hopefully later today and will then send files out.

Rather than clogging up the list if there is enough interest I'll setup a
mailing list for anybody interested in helping out. If you are send me an e-mail
with to rob.mythtv.devlist.no.spam at robertwillett.com. Clearly remove the
.no.spam  to get this work.

Rob.