[mythtv-users] Asus pundit & pvr 350, Suse9.0, Xfree4.4:nonsmooth video playback no matter what I do...

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Tue Apr 20 14:39:47 EDT 2004

Op dinsdag 20 april 2004 11:04, schreef Robert Rozman:

> I have mythbackend and frontend on same machine. I cannot get smooth video
> or live tv play from pvr 350 - I'm not English native speaker so I am not
> sure how this is called, but picture freezes for few moments, specially on
> zooming or left-right transitions.
>
> So I cannot watch sport or similar. I had a lot of problems with xv
> performance, but lately could get it to work with some setting in sis
> driver, so now I have xvtest performance around 2200 FPS (it used to be 200
> FPS). I have HD at 40Mb/sec and dma on (measured with hdparm). But freezes
> are still there. Same streams work smoothly on other computers running
> mythfrontend (even on dsmyth on windows). So there must be something weird
> on my frontend & backend server. I have P4 2.4G so there shouldn't be
> problem of cpu power shortage...

A couple of things:
1. I never got it right with MPEG4 (using plain normal grabber card) at
720x576 PAL. I use a 2.4GHz Celeron. Though this should normaly work just
right with a PVR.

2. When I disabled the video preview the playback was a lot better than
before. On MythTV 0.14 the preview keeps playing in th background which seems
to kill performance with the current SiS driver.

3. You have installed Winischhofer's latest SiS driver haven't you?

4. Does your screen resolution match the recording resolution.

5. What video playback options (jitter reduction, etc) have you enabled (the
Use video as timebase option does _not_ work).

6. Have you tested your RAM? Use memtest86, add it to Grub/Lilo, reboot and
let it run for an hour.

	Henk Poley <><