[mythtv-users] Which ivtv to use. patch or 1.10

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 20 14:10:05 EDT 2004

Karm may wrote:

>To fix some problems that I have been having with TV
>out,  I believe I need to either patch ivtv 1.9 or
>fetch ivtv 1.10 from apt repository.
>
>Questions:
>The easy way would to be fetch it from apt repository,
>but will 0.1.10-30 work with myth 0.14?  Will the
>existing module configuration for 0.1.9 work with
>0.1.10?

With ivtv 0.1.10pre2, you should be using Chris Kennedy's ck41 patch (
http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck41.diff ).  It should
be significantly more stable than 0.1.9--especially on Linux 2.6
systems.  Chris also has a patch ck42 available, but it is has undergone
less testing than ck41; therefore, ck41 is considered the "stable"
release.  See http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ for all patches and
pre-patched source releases.

Because of how new the patch is (released yesterday), you may not be
able to find packages that include this patch.  Therefore, you may need
to compile it yourself.  (Although it is a young patch, ck41 is
significantly better than any of the ck1x, ck2x, and ck3x patches.
Chris has made some amazing improvements in the last couple of weeks.)

Note that you will want to use Matthias Badaire's X driver for the ivtv
framebuffer ( http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ ) if using TV out on the
PVR-350.  Both source and pre-compiled versions are available from his
website.

I *highly* recommend signing up for the ivtv mailing lists (
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219 ) if using the ivtv
drivers.  They're all relatively low-volume lists (at least compared to
the Myth lists), and answer a lot of questions about the iTVC15-family
of chips.  And, you get to see which patches are worth trying and which
ones are better left to the module hackers.

Mike