[mythtv-users] 3D (OpenGL) on an M10000/Gentoo setup

Mikhail D'Vane mikhaildvane at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:39:50 EDT 2004

There's seems to be a bit of misunderstanding when it comes to DRI
(direct rendering - must be enabled for glxgears to be in the 300 - 500
fps range) and Ivor's reverse-engineered mpeg decoder library
(libddmpeg.so).

As far as I know, they have nothing to do with one-another.  DRI allows
you to take advantage of the 3D acceleration of the video card hardware,
while libddmpeg.so allows use to use the on-board mpeg decoder.  (I
also don't believe that MythTV uses any 3D acceleration for video playback,
as I've noticed no difference with DRI on or off when it comes to this.)

Anyway, to get to Paul's question....

I don't know of a way to get the Via binary drivers running on Gentoo, but
that doesn't stop you from using DRI with the open-source ones.

First, are you running a -epia kernel (something like 2.4.24-epia1, etc)?

Second, are you running an epia-enabled version of Xfree (these used to
be -epia as well, but now they're "unichrome")?

If the answer to both of these is yes, then you should have the via open
source drivers on your system.  Now... are you using the via driver?  (Check
XF86Config Device section for somthing like:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"VIA CLE266"
	Driver		"via"
	VendorName	"Via"
	BoardName	"cle266"
	VideoRam	32768	# needed if videoram is incorrectly detected
Endsection

Next, are you loading the dir and glx modules?  Should be at the top of
XF86Config:

Section "Module"
	Load	"dbe"  	# Double buffer extension
	SubSection "extmod"
		Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
	EndSubSection
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"speedo"
#	Load	"freetype"
#	Load	"xtt"

	Load	"glx"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"v4l"

EndSection

Finally, ensure that permissions for dri are set so users other than root
can
use it.  You need this section in XF86Config:

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

(Mine has it at the very bottom.)

If you have all this, glxgears should give in the 300-500 fps range (depends
one exact version of driver/Xfree you have).

Mik