[mythtv-users] TV and Projector - need two frontends on onemachine...

Brian Rumple brumple at VALUBOND.COM
Tue Apr 20 11:23:51 EDT 2004

Run each frontend as a different user.  You can override the hostname
for mythtv by copying /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt to $HOME/.mythtv
and setting LocalHostName to be what you want.  You can leave your
current user's configuration the way it is and just setup the new user.
This gives you the same result as having the frontend run on another
machine.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 4:18 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] TV and Projector - need two frontends on
onemachine...

Hi I've had a look in the archives but can't find anything to help.

Basically I'd like to effectively run two frontends on my machine - one
outputting via the PVR350 into the TV, the other via the VGA into an LCD

projector.
Ideally I'd like to have them available immediately (though not
neccesarily concurrently - but if I can get dual headed X working with
the PVR then why not?)
One big problem I see is that the frontend settings seem to use the
hostname to identify them.
I was considering adding an 'alternate settings' capability to the
frontend (ie add "-alt1", "-alt2" to the hostname before querying the db

for the settings -also maybe cleaning it up - when I fully qualified my
machines hostname I temporarily lost all my settings :( )

Before I dive in and start hacking: has anyone anyone else solved this?
Does anyone have any similar problems? Any ideas?

David