[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out sound problem

Anthony D'Alberto afd100 at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 18 23:07:19 EDT 2004

Mythtv-users,
	Let me first thank you for all the great advice you've given.
Unfortunately, I am having a problem of my own.

	I am running:
Shuttle sk43G - AMD Athlon 2600+, 512MB 400Mhz SDRAM, VIA8235 Onboard Audio
-SPDIF out, VIA KM400 chipset
Hauppauge PVR350, capturing MPEG2-PS, 740x480, SVideo
NVidia FX5800 as the TV-out device on AGP port, SVideo
120GB WD Hard drive, NEC 1300A

Redhat 9.0, blackbox, LCDd, LIRC, IBM Navigator PRO wireless keyboard
IVTV 0.1.9 with all the patches, new FrameBuffer device driver
XINE for the DVD player
Mythtv 0.15 from CVS compiled with IVTV support, MythDVD 0.15, MythMusic,
etc...
I use AVIDemux2 for editing out commercials and making DVD's of the shows
with DVDauthor and growisofs

The current configuration uses SPDIF to my receiver/amp for all audio, and
it works great.   There is some interlacing with the NVidia card, but it's
not too bad.  I'm trying to switch from the NVidia card as the TV-out to
just using the PVR-350 (using the IVTV Framebuffer).

Everything has worked on the PVR350 under Myth (video, Framebuffer, DVD
under XINE, etc) except:  When I switch to WatchTV or playback of a
previously recorded program, the video works great, but there is no audio.
DVD, MythMusic, and everything else works, but watching recordings produces
no sound.

I have done the following:
Connected the sound output RCA jacks from the PVR350 to the stereo
directly.  At the command prompt, dd of one of the recordings works
perfectly (with sound and video) going to /dev/video16, indicating IVTV
works properly.

I've enabled PVR350 output in MythTV, turned off SPDIF passthrough, ensured
the card is configured for /dev/video16, and have verified volume is up.
I'm not sure what else to do at this point since IVTV is definitely NOT the
problem.

Is there something else I need to configure or something stupid I'm
missing?  It seems Mythtv is trying to pipe the audio out to /dev/dsp or
muting the PVR350 only when playing back video from Mythtv.  Video playback
is great, but there is no audio.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Anthony