[mythtv-users] Looking for help with mythbackend

Jerry Turba jturba at nethere.com
Mon Apr 19 16:26:45 EDT 2004

I just got a copy of KnoppMyth and installed it (autoinstall) without
any problems except how to do some configurations. I have some
experience with Debian but am not an expert. I did not have to download
or compile anything. It seems that KnoppMyth is very complete. I can
boot up and get the menu to watch tv, video, games, etc.

I cannot watch tv on the computer monitor, (I don't have it connected to
a tv yet). I just see a blue flash, and if I press the return key I see
what appears to be a menu with the time and channel. From reading the
newsgroups I guess I did not configure the inputs for the capture card
properly. I don't remember the exact terms but I setup the tv cable to
the first item in the list (output 0 ?) when I should have put it with
the tuner, I believe.

I cannot get back to the menu that sets up the capture card, video
inputs, channels, etc. I believe that is called the backend. If I go to
a console and as root run the command mythbackend I get the following:
Starting  up the master server
2004-04-18  12:09:38 myth backend version: 0.14.20040123-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-04-18  12:09:38 Enabled verbose msgs: important general
QserverSocket: failed to bind or listen to the socket
Failed to bind port: 6543

How can I redo the backend configuration without reinstalling?

Is there a howto or something to explain how to configure all the
settings in the backend?

My system:
PIII 1 GZ, 256 ram, matrox G450 video card, Hauppauge 350 capture card.
I have the cable tv connected to the tv in on the Hauppauge, I am using
only a 6GB hard drive for now and the computer monitor for output.

Any help apprreciated.
Thanks
Jerry