[mythtv-users] transcoding shows after recording

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Apr 17 20:17:07 EDT 2004

Mitko Haralanov wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:36:42 -0400
>"J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net> wrote:
>

>>The transcoder profiles refer to your SOURCE format, so you'd want to
>>work with the MPEG2 profiles and set them to transcode to MPEG4 in the
>>codec section.
>>

>I don't even get a MPEG4 option. The only choice under MPEG-2
>Encoders->Low Quality->Video Compression is "MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder".
>That is true not only for the Low Quality but for every one of the
>possibilities. Did I miss installing something that will enable MPEG4?

You should have a menu structure that looks something like this in your
TV settings:

Recording Profiles ->
    MPEG-2 Encoders
        Live TV
        High Quality
        Low Quality

    Transcoders
        RTJpeg/MPEG4
        MPEG2

If you navigate to the MPEG2 section of the Transcoder profiles, on the
third page is the setting for your codec, you should be able to chose
MPEG-4 there.

>>What bit rates are you using to get that large of file and how big is
>>your original file?  MPEG4 can use much lower rates.>
>>

>I am using 3000 for Low Quality. I am not sure about the original files
>but with the old settings (I lowered the bit rate a bit), it was about
>12G for 30mins

Are you sure it wasn't 1.2G?  That sounds about right 3k.   You didn't
mention what your max bit rate though. You should have two.

>>Chances are, you
>>don't want this unless you want to transcode the commercials as well.
>>

>When it does that transcoding which profile does it use? The MPEG-2
>Encoders or Transcoders?

When it transcode it uses the MPEG2 transcode profile.