[mythtv-users] Re:MythTV Help Website

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Fri Apr 16 12:34:13 EDT 2004

> I can't do sgml patches - I don't even know what they are

I have always allowed contributors to send plain text if they don't want
to "learn" SGML.  But really, look at the following example from the
source code of the HOWTO:

See <url url="http://linpvr.org/" name="http://linpvr.org/"> if you'd
like to install MythTV onto a VIA Epia M machine.

See <url url="http://mysettopbox.tv" name="http://mysettopbox.tv"> if
you'd like to install a custom version of Knoppix optimized for MythTV.

Or howabout:

The ports for MySQL (TCP port 3306) and mythbackend (TCP ports 6543 and
6544) must be open.  It is <em>strongly</em> recommended that you do
<em>not</em> expose the MythTV and MySQL ports to the Internet or your
"Outside" LAN.

Even without knowing SGML, I'm sure that people could guess what "<em>"
would produce, based on the context of the example above.  Same with "<bf>".

Anyway, contributing to the HOWTO has a pretty low barrier to entry,
since I accept plain text.

But, whatever.  If the wiki works for you then go for it.