[mythtv-users] Can't start up unless in X

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 16 12:09:29 EDT 2004

Rob Willett wrote:

>I was getting loads of error messages when I start mythbackend from the command
>line before I start up X. There are no problems at all if I start mythback from
>a terminal session in X. Huh!

Perhaps X is initializing (and loading modules for) your capture card.
Try either a) loading the appropriate modules before starting
mythbackend, or b) adding the appropriate lines to your modules.conf
(assuming Linux 2.4) to "auto-load" your capture card modules (i.e.
alias, add above, add below, pre-install, post-install--whatever is
required for your card).

HTH,
Mike