[mythtv-users] Features / Operation

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Apr 15 17:31:29 EDT 2004

James Armstrong wrote:

> Does everybody like the way the 'TV' menus/functions of myth are
> organized? After having a Tivo for years I have gotten use to another
> way of doing things and would like to put this out. Currently to do
> anything to a recorded show you need to go to TV, then to 'Watch
> Recordings, or Recording Priorities, or Delete Recordings, etc'. The
> way the Tivo worked was all this was available from the 'Recorded
> Shows' menu. It listed all the recorded programs then when you have
> one of them selected (right arrow on the show) it would show the
> details and have easy to access menus at the bottom of the details fo
> 'Play Show', 'Delete this Show', 'Change Recording options (quality,
> priority, season pass, new shows only or repeats)'. It makes managing
> all the shows from one place really nice. Instead of going one place
> to watch a show then another to delete then another to change
> recording options.

All of the menus are xml based.  You can edit them to your hearts
content.  Once .15 rolls out the sky is pretty much the limit since you
can use jump points within your menus. The current menu structure I'm
toying with looks something like this:

Watch TV

My Media
    View Recordings
    Watch videos
    Image Gallery
    Play Games

Manage Recodings
    Schedule
       Program Guide
       Program Finder
       Search Listings
       Manual Schedule
    Set Priorities
    View Upcoming
    Delete Recordings
    Guide Data Status

Optical Disks
    Play A DVD
    Play a VCD
    Archive DVD
    Archive Music CD

Info Center
    News
    Weather
    WWW

Setup & Tools
    Scan for New Music
    Video Manager
    Restart Backend
    Setup

Some of these have additional menus off of them, but things that
logically fit together are close to each other, and none of my menus
have so many options that they require scrolling.